Friday, December 29, 2006

Day One: Jill, Dave, and shoes arrive safely


Outside is a rip-roaring fourteen degrees, but we're nice and toasty in our lovely room at the Santa Fe Motel in Winnemucca, NV. Of course I saw the "Free Wifi" on the hotel sign and pulled in right away like a lunatic, like I couldn't go one night without internet access. Dave was behind me in the UHaul truck, like "whaaaa?." And then when we were bringing stuff in from my car, I was like "Do you think anyone will steal my shoes?" He was like, "Um, no." And we're so punch drunk from driving that we found this hilarious for some reason, like the shoes were such precious cargo (they are!) that they had to come in the room, too, hence the beautiful still life shot. Like any of the contractors (the motel lot is full of ubiquitous contractor trucks) would want a pair of high heels. Hmmm, maybe.

So it was so cold when we stopped in Truckee that I seriously had to go scampering back into the car. And Dave was hauling ass in the truck, passing everyone to the summit, until finally I had to call him on the cell. "I didn't know they let Uhauls in the Daytona 500," I said. He didn't even realize I was so far behind him; he was so busy Dukes of Hazard-ing it. Said it was way more powerful than his three-quarter ton Ford. But in Sacramento, the traffic (which to me seemed laughingly light after the East Bay) freaked him out.

All I want to say is this man is so deserving of a medal and anything else he wants, like a new dirt bike.

No comments: