Saturday, December 23, 2006

I Heart Carhartts


As long as i'm sitting here doing nothing except contemplating the stack of boxes in the corner of my living room, I thought I'd take a moment to cheer myself up and reflect on the positive power of Carhartt workpants in my life. In fact, just an hour or so ago I was down at the shop in Oakland picking up a Christmas gift (for any of you motoheads that's Flash's Oakland Custom Motorcycles www.focminc.com.) and talking to one of the fine young mechanics down there clad in black Carhartts. Swoon. And I hung out with two guy friends yesterday wearing those ubiquitous black pants--the best color by the way--and I have to say, it got me going. And they both know this. One, an ex boyfriend, thinks this is sort of a weird fetish but used to indulge me anyway. And besides, I'm sure there are a lot more strange fetishes than admiring a manly man in his Carhartts. And my ex-boyfriend, Dave, the packing director, looks oh-so-fine in his C-hartts. I used to wash a lot of those back in the day, but i never minded. Lest you think I'm crazy, I'm aware that these pants do serve a purpose other than in my fantasties. Guys wear them because the heavy material is indestructible on jobsites, in shops, riding a motorcyle--anyplace guys are doing something that involves tools and/or a motor.

I'm sure that when Hamilton Carhartt founded his namesake company in 1889, he never could have imagined the effects his trademark workpants would have on this Carhartt-loving woman over a century later. In fact, I'm pretty sure Mr. Carhartt would be blushing if he knew what went on in my head and ok, other places, when I see a man wearing a pair of Carhartts. They just make a man look so ruggedly sexy and capable of anything, even if it turns out he's incapable of fixing a door hinge.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Packing....oh that. So glad the packing director (and carhartt wearer) is coming out tomorrow night. 4 real-he's wearing charts on plane to cheer me up although he thinks it's weird. bless him, i say.

halloween w/your c-hart boy sounds rockin. LOVE AC/DC. yeah, hope the bfriend doesn't see this!
xo